Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Web As A Part Of Our Life

Since yesterday I have a huge problem at home, even a catastrophe! No Internet connection! After not so successful upgrade of our building by the provider the half of it doesn’t have any Internet, TV or telephone connection. So, how can I do my homework assignments? They are all online and I need to be online to finish them. This is the reality: thanks to the high speed speed Internet and Web 2.0 we can store and share all the information somewhere in the Web.

Definitions:

Ajax – (technology platform) an intermediary between the user and the server. Makes asynchronous server communication possible.
AdSense – an advertising program that anyone who publishes a web site can use to generate income for their web site. Google must approve your site before ads are shown on your site.
DoubleClick – a company that develops and provides Internet ad serving services.
Orkut – social networking and discussion site operated by Google.
Ruby – dynamic, open source programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity.
Sxipper – a free Firefox add-on that lets you log into any web site with a single click. It keeps track of all of your user IDs, passwords, etc.
Viola Web Browser – the first web browser with inline graphics, scripting, tables, stylesheet (first released around April 1992).
VoIP – voice over Internet Protocol – a technology for transmitting voice conversations via the Internet.
Web 2.0 web sites - current generation of web sites that make good use of HTML and CSS while improving their interface with Ajax and social networking tools.
Web application – application that is accessed via web browser over a network (Internet).
Webtop – online software applications (web-based apps) that are similar to the ones that we have on our desktops: Writely ~ Microsoft Word, Zimbra ~ Microsoft Outlook.

I’ve searched all those definitions through the Internet. I also asked some people about Ajax and site examples that use it as well as what do they think about Web 2.0. I even looked through the books (like “Google AdSense For Dummies”, “Practical Web 2.0 Applications WithPHP”). Anyway, in my everyday living I search through the Internet. Any question in my mind - I immediately type it in the Google Search and then (depends on what I’m searching for) I prefer to read the articles from Wikipedia. As a person whose native language is not English I use online dictionaries like dictionary.com (they have even a pronunciation for each word) and lingvo.ru (for a quicker understanding) to search the words’ meaning.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Anna!

    I had a trouble about Internet connection at home for a while. It made me a monster!!
    However, I fixed it somehow. Then, it made me an angel after that. To tell the truth, it took a couple years!! Guess how many!!!

    ReplyDelete